Deleted.

Somebody deleted me today. Delete. That word carries a lot of weight doesn't it? It probably didn't always, but thanks to modern technology, it shows up in our daily goings-on much more often.

I was working along at my computer at work and went to send an email. All of a sudden all of these error messages began beeping at me. So, I do what any non-IT person would do and restart the thing in hopes that will just wash over anything that is wrong. Well, of course, that I was wrong in my thinking. I can't even log back on the computer. Put in a call to the county's IT dept, which might I add is across town from me, and so my new IT BFF began drilling into the issue remotely: Someone has deleted me completley from the county server.

I was unable to work on my computer for a while, but she called me back and gets me set up on everything but that darned ole email. I still don't have it up right, and now I am just hoping the "email guy" that was out of town today can restore me to my original settings tomorrow.

Losing all of this data makes me feel violated. Empty. Panic-stricken. Chaotic.
Somehow I don't think that is how we were meant to live. I mean, who am I to say and who am I to know anything, but wow. Being deleted hurts. But I guess it is just another way to say rejected, and that's where the pain comes from. I have been thrown out. Tossed aside. Forgotten. Not good enough to be a part of something anymore. Hurled from NHC's computer server into Cyber Oblivion!

Hah. Well, I know that I depend heavily on my computer being dependable. And I guess, I do that in humans as well. Hurts like a splinter under your fingernail when either of them malfunction or decide to delete you.

But sooner or later, life does go on! And even if you have to rebuild your Outlook profile, and re-learn 5005 people's email addresses, you will smile and laugh again. :)

Comments

Popular Posts