Melodramatic Fool. Neurotic to the Bone. No Doubt About it.

My whole life, music has been an important part. It was instilled in me from my dad and grandmother. He was in a Led Zeppelin tribute band when he was younger, so when I was little, he would sing parts of "Whole Lotta Love" and I'd always ask him to make the sounds of how the beginning of the song goes. He would play the guitar and we would sing Randy Travis, Gordon Lightfoot. He'd put on Bob Marley and my favorite song was "Buffalo Soldier."

My grandmother would sing hymns. Amazing Grace. She also liked the song from the movie "Beaches," "The Wind Beneath my Wings." We'd sing together. I remember one Christmas when my family was all intact, Santa gave me a karaoke machine and one of the songs was Elvis's "Hound Dog." I learned all the words.

My first concert, I'm NOT EMBARASSED to say, was the New Kids on the Block. :)

When I was a little older, I really got into the 90's sound. Nirvana, Hole, the Cranberries, STP, Pumpkins, Silverchair, Jane's Addiction...the list goes on. I thought Kurt Cobain was my soul mate. I was fascinated in their lives and stories. I wanted to go to Aberdeen to see where he was born. Drink coffee and wear flannel shirts in Seattle. Cut holes in my long john shirts, and color the stars in my black Converse shoes green.

I liked some of the R&B. I remember the "Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack." Then there was hard rock. Saw two Korn shows, Rob Zombie, and Staind. On into high school and college, there was Dave Matthews Band that I had a love-hate relationship with, Incubus show, Widespread Panic on 4/20, Ludacris came to UNCW. Wow that covers about ten years in my musical history.

Ahh. But it is all behind me now. I can play the piano a little. I can sing...a little. I'd be an okay backup singer. I'd rather harmonize. Not enough confidence to peform. ;) But if I could really sing, I definitely would.

Anyway. Sometimes I attach associations to things that can be dramatically irrational. Mostly with music. Certain songs go with certain times in my life. My own soundtrack, if you will. This year there is a long list of songs that cause my gut to wrench. I do realize this is an irrational quality, but I'm not so sure how to get rid of it. I also do that with places, cars, names. No discrimination towards any animate or inanimate object. My irrationality knows no bounds. I will have to say, this exemplifies with hurt. I also do it with happy times and memories, but right now that is not the mood I am in.

But it is why I say some songs are my 'happy songs.' They really do conjure up some kind of emotion in me.

Nowadays, my taste is pretty eclectic. Not usually mainstream. But that is no attempt to be rebellious, I just don't normally listen to the radio anymore. I tune to K-Love for positive music, and my eyes have been opened to Christian music to which I used to profusely snub my nose towards. But there are many talented artists out there. I still love The Penguin (106.7) and The Bone (103.7). Great stations. That's about all my car is programmed to.

I just had a cd made that has Lucy Wainwright Roche, Loudon Wainwright, The Avett Brothers, Cheap Trick, Imogen Heap, and Jordin Sparks on it. Haha. Sometimes I have a pop treat in the midst of my folky-rocky-classic-rock mix.

Sometimes I just wish I didn't feel things so deeply. But that was obviously how I was made, so I am going to have to get on with it. God and music will keep carrying me through.

Comments

Popular Posts