You, you're a miracle, anything but typical...

So, I got a digital camera for Christmas. I can finally (partially) join the rest of the world of technology. I'm only about five years behind now. I say partially b/c I still do not have an i pod, or a fancy cell phone, but I can't say that I care all that much. An i pod would be just fine, but I find most music that I'm looking for in some way shape or form on youtube. But lucky for me, I have friends that can make me lovely cds from i tunes. I'm sure if I had an i pod, and i tunes, I would be addicted like the rest of the world, but until that day comes, I will survive on what I got.

Last weekend, a friend of mine came down to visit and we decided to have a sort of spa weekend on a budget. We get to Walgreens and start exploring around for items to fit in our plan. I get to the aisle of fingernails and polish and paints (oh my) and for some reason, start looking over the selection of fake fingernails. They make all kinds of the stuff. Painted ones, french ones, stenciled ones, stickered ones, long ones, short ones, fat ones, narrow ones, some you can glue or some you can 'tape.' They had some medium length, French manicured, glue-on ones on sale for $2.50. I figured that was a half price bargain by the looks of the prices on the rest of them and decide to give them a worl, with some healthy encouragment from my friend.

Turns out, Walgreens isn't the place to go if you are looking for spa items on a budget, so we leave the store with my fake nails, and a small aresnal of chocolate. When we get home and take out the nails, I can see they have a faint glitter tent to the portion under the white tip, and they are much longer than I would ever be used too. It took a few minutes to get them sized up and lined to fit my abnormally small fingers, and then we set to work gluing the things on with the utensils they provided. (A wooden pointed thicker version of a toothpick, and a cutip.)

I am here to tell you it is super glue. (At first at least.) Everything was getting stuck, and well, I had glue residue on my fingers for a good three days. It is pretty instantaneous drying, so I was able to move around and try to go about my life with them. It turned out to be a sort of handicap. Small things one usually takes for granted, such as unzipping pants, opening a can, washing hair, even rooting around in your purse...all difficult. However, I made it through about 12 full hours before any mishap.

As I said before, Walgreens wasn't the cheap place to go, (except for the fingernail bargain) Rite Aid is your place for 2 dollar facials, and yes, even more Christmas chocolate. As I am standing in line paying for my mud mask, not doing anything strenuous with my hands, I put my left hand in my purse to get my wallet, and low and behold the thumb nail just pops right off.

It happened fast, and I don't think anyone would have noticed but I looked down and in all of my blond-moment glory said, "Well, it came off." Notifying to the kid behind the counter, and the woman next to him to examine my plight and see the helpless acrylic thumb nail sitting on top of my Fossil handbag. I just kind of smirked, tossed the nail in the Rite Aid bag and walked out, noticing the trail of laughter behind me. Get in the car and tell the scenario to my friend and we both have to wipe the tears from laughing.

What if it would have popped off and hit the kid in the eye??


Well, after that incident, and in between the mud drying on our faces, I tested the durability of cutting the nails down to a more normal size for me, and it worked. I cut an filed them down, and painted them a delightful shade of red for Christmas and they looked pretty for about a week. Just two days ago, I tore them off and decided my days for fake nails were over.

It's a concept that really isn't me--long, delicate, and beautiful fingernails, but as a woman, I think we all dream of having them sometimes, something so feminine, and well now, you can buy a pretty good set of them for $2.50 at Walgreens, so hey, life ain't all that bad is it?

If you can get through this blog with out tearing your hair out at all the errors and tense changes, I adore you. Don't tell anyone I am actually going to school for this crap. (writing that is)
I say crap, b/c I feel that is all I have written for a year and I'm afraid I have no time to get it right in time for a thesis and graduation.

UGH. I wish my life could be all about the simple pleasures. Maybe pleasures is the wrong word. And I know it is more about attitude than anything, but this week, I feel like I can't pray enough to keep the peace inside. I am thankful for small comic relief incidences above that life really is full of, but it would be nice to get some of the big stresses off my shoulders...I know I am not alone, but tell me one person you could ever say that to where it actually made them feel better?

Wah.

I know I will be okay, but rent is due, and the new year is about to begin. But I continue; faith is hard to live out in the light of day, truly it is. But it also truly keeps me going. I know that for certain.


"Keep On Shinin'" by Third Day

It feels like forever since I can remember
It seems like it's always been this way
Keep the good news to ourselves, like a secret we'll never tell
I don't know why we've been so ashamed

But changes are in the air, sparks are starting everywhere
And oh, what a sweet, sweet sound
With millions of voices, singing new choruses
Leading the way to higher ground

Keep on, keep on shinin'
Wherever you may be
Keep on, keep on shinin'
For all the world to see

Having faith in the long run is easier said than done
It's hard to live out in the light of day
You're bruised and you're battered, your dreams have been shattered
Your best laid plans scattered over the place

Despite all your tendencies, God sees it differently
Your struggle's a time to grow
And you, you're a miracle, anything but typical
It's time for the whole wide world to know

Comments

Popular Posts