Millennials and Other Reverie from Me

So, at the staff meeting today, I guess as part of some county-wide HR endeavor, we started this video about "Generations in the Workplace." Apparently there are four groups that people can fit into: Traditionalists, Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, and Millennials. This is probably not news to any of you, but I wasn't aware that I was what is called a "Millennial." Before I started this blog, I Googled to make sure that Millennial is also the same as Gen Y, and yes it is, and that term, I had heard of. But I had never really given much thought as to which box I would check if asked. Since I was born after 1977, I fit into the latter category. However, here is some controversy as to when the cutoff year is. I've seen 1977, 1978, 1980 to 1998 or 2000 so I just chose one to start.

The thought of generations is interesting to me. Different pop culture events defining each group. But as someone pointed out in the staff meeting, these broad definitions are trying to encompass, oh I don't know, 80 billion people or some crazy big number like that. Most people have characteristics of each generation. I think knowledge of technology, just being the most defining characteristic of age perhaps. (According to this video today.) But even that statement is stereotypical. My traditionalist-grandfather could kick my baby boomer-mother's butt in using a computer. So eh.

I'm not so sure I even really dig this whole pigeon-holing people into these restricted age slots. Just another way to be different from each other. Separate. I'm all about togetherness, man. haha. I do understand the need for it for statistical purposes and what have you, but bringing it up in the workplace isn't exactly necessary. I think most people with enough common sense to be working at a job can understand how to interact with someone of a different generation. (But maybe I am assuming too much?) I never ever thought about it but I guess now, me and my neurotically conscientious self will hope I am not offending someone from another generation when I speak! haha

Everyone in the meeting had to laugh. The lady narrating the video was probably a Gen Xer or Millennial, and I had to laugh thinking, yeah, some of the kids in my generation could probably make a drinking game out of how many times this lady has said, "generation" in the last five minutes...

Ahem. Um, No, I never played games like that in college...

Well, poking fun or not, it was conclusive in the meeting today that some folks never grow up no matter which generation they hail from! We laughed, and went back to our work stations. A nice mix of Baby Boomers, Gen Xers, and I think a few of us are Millenials and maybe one or two Traditionalists, co-existing just fine under one really, really, old roof. (oldest museum in North Carolina to be exact, est. 1898...)


Anyway.


I've decided that my face looks different when there is somebody in this world that wants to be with me and I know it. I'm sure this is all inside my crazy head, but I studied over pictures of my face from my Vegas trip last year and I think I looked very, very different just a few months later when I was single. (Of course during that time there was a lot of other horse ca ca going on professionally and personally in my life to make me look haggard and depressed...) But I looked like a very happy, little girl. Child-like, in the Vegas photos.

By the end of 2008, I had gained a lot of weight. Since March of 2009, I have lost 39 pounds and counting. (Can't seem to push past 39 rrrrgh.) So, I know this weight loss has something to do with my face looking different, but I think there is just a general aura of happiness or security that comes from knowing there is someone. Even if it is a sort of someone that isn't an official anything and I probably shouldn't even be blogging about it but I am. And no. I know self-worth does not come from any man and I am perfectly okay now being with just myself, that's not what I'm saying, but I'm not gonna lie-- it does feel good to have plans, a conversation, or even a message from someone that is thinking about you at that very moment. Even if it is nothing more than friendship...




And I was just listening to the Penguin and they played this song. A song that was there for me a lot last summer and I still love it. So, I'm leaving you with it, even though I could only find a live version to post here:



And I'm now aware of the fact that the emails don't include the youtube vids, so sorry, if you want to see/hear the music you gotta click on the link! Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts