SOAPBOX MOMENT

Okay, so I know I'm not the only person in town in dire need of a job, and everyone is strapped for cash and blah blah blah but to those of you who have a job, you have NO idea what it is like out here. People advertising for help wanted are offering like 7.50/hr + or - a few dollars. COME THE *&%# ON PEOPLE. WHO THE #$%* CAN SURVIVE OFF OF THAT? I realize that things are tight for EVERYONE, even those people who have jobs to offer, but wow. Wow. I also realize that I am one of the more 'lucky' unlucky ones b/c I only have myself to feed. I don't have children, a spouse, or a pet. (That is a depressive sentence in and of itself.) But I know that some people in my situation do have other mouths to feed. So, I shouldn't complain as much. But I just looked on Craigslist like I do everyday many times a day, and I'm just getting fed UP with the low low hourly rates. I have the feeling that some employers are taking advantage of the dire circumstances, and know that people are so desperate that they may take a freakin 8 dollars an hour job. I know I feel that way, but it makes me so mad b/c I can't pay my bills w/ that, and it is a slap in the face pay cut.

Whether or not someone has a Master's degree or GED, everyone deserves at least a modest way of life. I'm not asking for extravagance here. But in this day and time, I don't think anyone should be offered less than 12-15 dollars an hour. For any kind of work. B/c there is great importance in all kinds of work. That's really not even that much when you look at the yearly salary. It is 24,000-31,000 respectively. That is rather modest, I believe. And I could and did live relatively comfortably at around 31. When I think about the CEOs, actors, athletes that make in the millions, it makes me sick. They could hire me. They could hire all of us that are out of a job. They wouldn't even miss a measly 30 grand. They throw that in the trash by way of stupid rims or sound systems for their stupid cars.

It makes me sick.

After what I went through and saw last year, after what I've experienced recently, I'm slowly losing my hope in humanity. People have stopped treating people like people. We've become so self-preserved and defensive. Or maybe I've just had the pleasure of being in the company of the most non-compassionate, mean and snarky people in the Wilmington work force. It makes me want to move.

But I can't. At least for like six more months.

And yes, I do still have the super, very part-time job that I still enjoy. But it will pay my power bill. Wah.

Okay, stepping down now...

Comments

Popular Posts