Confessions from a mid-to-omgosh-late 20's drama queen

When was little, I remember two very important crushes. I now know they were crushes. Back then, I don't think I understood the attraction. I just knew that I liked watching them on screen, and that I wished I could meet them. I thought they were the cat's meow. Top banana. All that stuff.

I fell in love with David Bowie and Fred Savage.

Two people that couldn't be farther from each other in the spectrum of however you measure people. For Bowie, I think it was the movie The Labyrinth. Which I watched over and over. Used to "'tend like" I was "Sarah," Jennifer Connolley's character. Walk around and recite her lines and go through my mom's closet looking for flouncy white blouses and brown shoes that made the same noise as Sarah's did when she walked through the maze.

I really longed for the fantasy world, where doors and dogs talked. And you could make friends with monsters.

When I watch that movie now, I can see that there is some sort of chemistry-thing between Jennifer's character and Bowie's. It is slightly creepy. And now, I can't watch the part with the muppets that have the heads that come off. I can't remember what they were called, but it is too werid. It is a Jim Henson film, did you know that? Well, Maybe I picked up on connection between Sarah and the Goblin King as a child. I loved his wild hair. How he spoke and sang with the goblins. He wore grey leggings, and had typical British teeth. I don't know. I don't think many people share my sentiments here, and that is okay. I'm not so sure the attraction is still there, but when I see him or hear him, I remember my inner child's feelings.

And it is coming up now b/c there is some car commercial that plays that "Ground Patrol to Major Tom," song. I youtubed that vid and he was a pretty freaky character. But alas. I really never know what will attract me. :) (alas just came out of me. I don't think I have ever used that. Hmm. I think I will more often.)

Fred reminded me of someone that was in my life at the time. He was boyish and cute. If any guy can be the 'boy next door' it is Fred Savage. Yes, I liked the "Wonder Years", when I was older, but I loved him most in movies like "Little Monster," and "The Wizard." I'd still watch those movies today! I think Howie Mandell is best when he dressed up as a warty monster anyhow. ;)

I wish my imagination was as fresh and innocent as it was then. Things really do change so fast. One moment you're this. The next moment, you're that.

It's 20+ years later, and sometimes I can't believe it. People always tell you, throughout your whole life, how fast time flies. I brushed it off, until I got sucked up in the whirlwind myself. But not to dwell. It only gets better from here. :)

Just another random bit of pop history/thought before I go, who do you think would win in a fight? Sly or Arnold? Rocky vs. The Terminator. My dad says without question, Arnold. He's probably right. But I think bulldog-Rocky would put up a good fight. Ponder on that while you should be working today.

Comments

Popular Posts