In Memory of Tyler J.



He was nine when I last saw him. A small boy, with bright blond hair and blue eyes. He had a sweet nature. I don’t remember much else about him. I was 21. I was awkward around kids. I never knew what to say or how to be.  He liked following around his big brother. He loved being close to his mom and his aunt. How could we have known back then? Back when he was nine? Were there signs? Some kind of hint or clue that he would be troubled? That he would be depressed? Was there something someone, anyone could have done to intervene? To help this child. He was 23, just two months shy of his 24th birthday when he did it.

I think about my life at 24. I often consider that one of the most fun years of my life. Just finished college. Moved in with a new roommate who would become my best friend; teetered on the edge of wild and reckless for… just a little while.  I did all the things a twentysomething year old does. He won’t get that year. He won’t get that time.

I look at my son. He’s just turned two. Is there anything that I can do now? To ensure he won’t suffer with those afflictions. The afflictions that make a person turn on himself. No. There’s not. There's just love.

My heart breaks for the family that lost their son. Their child. I knew him then. I didn’t know him now. I wish I could have helped him.

PLEASE reach out to someone. You ARE loved. You are NOT alone.  And people want to help.


800-273-8255

Comments

Popular Posts